My Mechanical Romance | Review

Title - My Mechanical Romance 
Author 
- Alexene Farol Follmuth

Genre(s)  - Romance

Trope(s)  - Academic Rivals to friends to lovers, Diversity, Women in STEM, POC 

Release Date - 31st May 2022

Overall Ratings - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

✦゚━━━━━━━・❦・━━━━━━━゚✦

SYNOPSIS

Nerds are so hot.
Especially battle robot building nerds.


Bel would rather die than think about the future. College apps? You’re funny. Extracurriculars? Not a chance. But when she accidentally reveals a talent for engineering at school, she’s basically forced into joining the robotics club. Even worse? All the boys ignore Bel—and Neelam, the only other girl on the team, doesn't seem to like her either.

Enter Mateo Luna, captain of the club, who recognizes Bel as a potential asset—until they start butting heads. Bel doesn’t care about Nationals, while Teo cares too much. But as the nights of after-school work grow longer and longer, Bel and Teo realize they've built more than just a combat-ready robot for the championship: they’ve made space for each other and themselves.

This sharply funny, academic rivals to lovers romance explores both the challenges girls of colour face in STEM and the vulnerability of first love with unfailing wit and honesty.

✦゚━━━━━━━・❦・━━━━━━━゚✦

MY REVIEW

Firstly, I want to thank NetGalley for providing me with an e-arc of My Mechanical Romance.

 I absolutely loved My Mechanical Romance. It was such a sweet heartfelt book about a guy who's been planning his future since he was a child and a girl who hates to talk about her future. I love how this book went from Academic rivals to friends to lovers. The growing friendship between Matteo and Bel was absolutely the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Seeing them get closer to each other through small precious moments made me so giddy. 

Matteo and Bel are nerds who are into Robotics. Well Bel isn't into robotics she's forced into it by her teacher but sooner she falls in love with it. 
Both of their personalities were so different and exploring it was the best part of the book. As someone who has to apply to college in well a few months, I could understand these characters so well. I could understand Matteo's need to be the best to get into MIT and I could also understand Bel's thought process of avoiding college admissions and talking about what major she wants to do. I love how the Author put this through because she made me feel what the characters were feeling and I so admire her for this. Not going to lie I did panic for a moment after seeing Matteo work so hard to get into MIT and then after a few moments when panic subsided I thanked the gods that I did not choose engineering as a career option. 

Diversity isn't something we usually see in books especially at this level because I still struggle to find characters that play an integral part in the book be POC. The author did a great job depicting different cultures in this book and I was so glad for it. 

The author also had a serious message for women in STEM in her book. The way she informs people of the struggle of women in STEM is not really forced but yet such an important part of the book. I love how we had a POC woman in STEM and I especially loved how the author pointed out the characters readers might like while reading as being part of the struggle. I was just blown away by the whole thing. 

My Mechanical Romance was such a cute story about women in STEM and I will literally recommend it to everyone because it's that good. 

✦゚━━━━━━━・❦・━━━━━━━゚✦

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chain of Gold Book Review ( Spoiler Alert!!)

Fourth Wing | Book-Review

Throne of Broken Gods by Amber Nicole | Book Review

The Secret Service of Tea and Treason by India Holton | Book Review