Fairest | Book Review

Flirting with evil will be the ruination of her soul.


Goodness is much easier to corrupt than it is to hold on to. And for Natasha, a woman reeling from the pain of losing a loved one, evil is all the more tempting. Luck or misfortune spirits Natasha away to the foreign Court of Velaris in a quest for a suitor but instead secures her a place among Velarian royalty. Craving revenge, Natasha makes use of this opportunity to enact her plans as she navigates the lush court where aristocracy is a double-edged blade. But when she befriends her soon-to-be husband Mikhail, the Beloved Prince, Natasha makes a deadly mistake. She captures the attention of debonair Darkling Prince, a villainous man meant to ascend the Velarian throne.

Enamored, the Darkling Prince charms Natasha, and soon the two feel a forbidden emotion captivate their stoic, scabrous hearts. But with the existence of a violent rebel group capable of cataclysmic damage, there is little time for love. With war brewing amidst the enigmatic kingdom, the royals must become all the more cunning and devious if they wish to triumph over their adversaries. What draws the insidious line between right and wrong when it comes to a battle of survival? For Natasha, nothing is too far, too light, too bloody, too evil.

Soon, the only reflection Natasha sees in her mirror's beveled glass is that of an Evil Queen. Often, the cost of survival is more frightening than the beasts of death. But that's what gives the Queen of Shadow's beauty an edge: she wears her darkness adorned about her throat like the grandest of all diamonds, ebony, and bloodred in the shade.

Fairest is the first book in the Court of Mirrors series by Sophia Zaccaria. I was provided a reading copy in place of an honest book review. The book revolves around the story of Alina / Natasha, a girl who discovers her power, and the royal family of Velaris with prince Cole and Mikhael. 

The story is a YA fantasy romance story while also being a Snow-white retelling and was a good read. The book gives of shadow and bone/ ACOTAR vibes, but it's so different and unique. The plotline is excellent and exciting for a fantasy reader and might be something new for them as it was for me.

It was written in a beautiful way, and I cannot begin to describe the short poems written in between chapters and how they complemented the story. Fairest was a great play of mind and seduction by Natasha/Alina. If you like Badass female characters who aren’t afraid to show their true nature, then I guess this book is for you! 

Although the fantasy and plot part was significant, the romance part did have some negative points for me. I personally hate the 2 brothers one girl trope so much that I cannot even begin to discuss how frustrated I got when I realized that this book had it. Fans of TVD or this trope might like this book and the whole 2 brothers fighting for a girl. I am a TVD fan, but there are so many books that try to pull that off, and I just hate them. I hate love triangles in general, but I get so frustrated with this trope. There are so many great books with great plots that I cannot read just because of this trope, and I felt like this was one of them. The romance was so cliched yet not, which led to my ultimate frustration. 

When I reached the end, I was shocked by the turn of events. The creativity that went through the entire book was just amazing. If you are like me, who cannot beat the 2 brothers 1 girl trope, then I recommend not to put yourself through this book. But if you can get through or don’t care abt that part, then you should definitely read this. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chain of Gold Book Review ( Spoiler Alert!!)

Fourth Wing | Book-Review

Throne of Broken Gods by Amber Nicole | Book Review

The Secret Service of Tea and Treason by India Holton | Book Review

Top 10 YA Standalone