Interview of Ciara Fineman | Author of Life 2.0

SYNOPSIS: A year ago, tragedy shattered Mazey’s life into pieces. Since then, she’s been scrambling to try to fit those pieces back together but keeps feeling like she’s missing something... until she moves back home and sees Phoenix again for the first time in a long time. With him, she feels like everything is okay, like she might be able to start healing. But how can she start healing when the past won’t stop haunting her?

RELEASE DATE: 9th February 2021 ( Pre-ordering starts from 9th Jan. 2021)

GENRE:  Contemporary Romance, New Adult

Ciara Fineman’s debut novel “Life 2.0”, releasing February 9th, 2021, was an exciting and extremely informative journey, one that will pave the path for years to come! Hopefully, you’ll love all the parts and pieces of Ciara that she put into this book.

Fortunately, I got to talk to Ciara and learn more about her and unique details about her writing process and behind-the-scenes of Life 2.0.

Q. How did you get into writing?

I originally got into writing in 6th grade (11 years old for those not in the states), when a teacher gave us the assignment to write a short story. When I showed my Grandma, she told me it was Amazing, and of course, I believed her, since I was 11, so I wanted to keep going. I got stuck on writing, however, with One Direction fanfiction. I know it's something I probably shouldn't be announcing to the world, but it's what I wrote for the next two years. Once I got to high school, I took creative writing classes, and my writing became the thing that I could actually be proud of. 

Q. What was one thing that was most important to your writing process?

For me, specifically? Outlining. If I didn't outline, then I'd never finish a book ever. I plan my book down to the chapter, and then my chapters down to each specific event. It's the main thing I use to get through the manuscript. If I'm saying overall, though, it would definitely be the ability to take feedback and criticism. I think that's the most important thing a writer needs to learn to do (other than write a book, obviously).

Q. What were your thoughts when you started writing this book, and how does that contrast
 with your ideas by the end of the book?

It's pretty similar. My original idea is something I can't share because it would spoil the ending, but it held the same core elements. My book is meant to have deeper meanings and go beyond just romance, and all of those core themes and messages held true the entire time.

Q. How would you describe your book’s ideal readers?

This was something I definitely struggled with! My book is a new adult romance, so it should target those in their twenties in theory. But I think the book kind of moves beyond that. As I said, my book has many things in it that holds a deeper meaning than just a simple romance. Many of these themes are things that anyone should learn, regardless of their age or where they are in life. I believe that if you're fifty, and you haven't figured out these things, you should still figure them out. I also think that the core messages would be super important in teens, but my book is 18+, so I can't market it towards teens. In the end, I just say 18+! But as for the personality, someone who likes real characters and who aren't afraid to question the things that the main characters do. Someone who wants a book that isn't the "perfect life." Anyone who likes fairytales wouldn't like my book.

Q. As a writer, did you ever face "writer’s block", and what are some ways you would 
recommend for writers to try to overcome it?

Personally, I don't see it as "writer's block"; I see it as having inspiration or lacking inspiration. Either way, I can still write. The difference will be how easily the words flow or the quality of the things I'm writing. I think this is because of my outline. I always know exactly where my book will go and what I need to accomplish in each chapter. It's like writing an essay on your least favorite school subject. Did you enjoy writing it? No. Was it your best work? No. But you had to write it, and you knew what you had to write, so you just did it. 

Q. What was the most challenging part of the writing process?

This actually will tie in with my last question. If I have no inspiration, then getting my brain to connect with the characters and really understand them is super tricky. Otherwise, I think that just figuring out what you're supposed to do, making sure you're doing things the right way... all of that can be incredibly confusing. It's so challenging to get all the information. 

Q. Where did you get the idea to start writing this book?

This is a question I always have a hard time answering because I'm the kind of writer who has too many ideas instead of the other way around. I probably have 200+ ideas written down in a google doc somewhere. So I don't know where the original idea came from. And unfortunately, the idea that I had would spoil too much of the book, but the general idea was centered around how we view people after tragedies and why the shift happens can be a bad thing.

Q. Your story revolves around a main character who has been in a Toxic Relationship and is trying to get better. What was your inspiration behind going for such?

This was kind of brought on by lots of different things. All the time, people say that mental abuse isn't really abuse. And mental abuse, and those toxic traits, are all over the place! The relationship that I'm talking about there was actually based on a real situation and real people. Still, I'm obviously not going to say who. It's also a common theme I see in romance books. Obviously, people all have their own turn-ons and what they're looking for in a book, and that's fine. But I wish fewer books didn't depict these terrible relationships as if they were healthy or good.

Q. What part of the book was the most fun to write?

I kind of have two answers, one that I can't get into too much since it would be a spoiler. Firstly, the slow reveal. I spent a while trying to figure out how to slowly uncover pieces of the past, showing the reader things they hadn't known before. I really enjoyed seeing that with my beta readers and how well it ended up turning out (in my opinion, which is definitely biased!). The second, the fights. Like I said, I can't really get into too much, but being able to show people's "turn sides" and really seeing the characters let go and just lash out was super fun.

Q. Mazey, the main character of the book, is part of the LGBTQ+ same as yourself. How 
would you say Mazey’s life was affected by this, and how was your life affected by this? 

Mazey and I are both fortunate in this sense but in entirely different ways. I personally live with liberal parents, and I did theatre in high school, so the vast majority of my friends were also LGBTQ+ (the stereotype holds true!). Because I'm pansexual, it's also something that's easy to "hide." I can say I'm into guys without having to lie about it. Mazey, on the other hand, just never had to tell anyone. Like I mentioned above, she was a foster kid and never really stuck to one place for too long. She didn't even have someone who was in the position to find out or who she felt like she should tell. Once she got to her new family, she met a lesbian and already had a supportive group around her. Mazey was able to just kind of morph into that.

Q. What advice would you give to a writer working on their first book?

Before going into the whole publishing thing, do your research! I know people always say "just write" (which I think is terrible advice, by the way), but knowing the process of what will come next would be extremely helpful. You'll need to be prepared to put a lot of time and effort into a million things other than writing if your goal is to make money. On the other hand, if you're not wanting to make writing your career, and you're just here for fun, then make sure you're writing something that you're incredibly passionate about and something that you couldn't not share. It makes writing into something more than just typing, but an actual mission and message. 

Q. What were your main goals with this book?

My main goals were differently to have real characters. Characters that weren't black and white, where readers had to decide if they were willing to forgive them, regardless of if the other characters had forgiven them. I wanted people to be able to have conversations about the book, and not just any discussions, but conversations that actually matter and have value and meaning. I want people to read this book and tell me that they weren't too sure about this character and that they felt something from the book.

Q. What messages can reader’s learn from this book?

Again, a little hard without spoiling anything, but in super vague terms... just because you love someone doesn't mean you have to be in their lives. It's okay to put yourself first. Never let other people make your life into something you don't want it to be.

Q. How did you come up with the title of the book, Life 2.0? 

That title comes the way Mazey, the main character, views her life and her new struggles and how she has to move forward. She's a foster kid who was bounced around several times before the age of sixteen. Then she moves into this new family. She views her life as split in half by those two things. Before she was sixteen and after that. Not a single person from those two times overlaps, so they're entirely separate things. Now that she's older, and she's had this tragedy happen, she has to learn how to live again and how to be herself also. She's learning how to move on and let go of the past. She has her second chance at living her life and finding her path. 

Q. If you were to write a spin-off about a side character, which would you pick? 

I actually am going to be writing a spin-off about one of the characters! I'll be releasing a teaser chapter to those who purchase the book. But besides that character, I think my second option would probably be Lincoln. He's the love interest's best friend. He has a fiance that he met in Africa while helping with a charity organization. Now they travel the world and just help people. I think a story about them meeting and falling in love would be interesting (plus Lincoln has a fascinating personality). 

A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR

I’m Ciara Fineman, I’m 21, and I’m from Orlando, Florida! I’m publishing my debut novel in February of 2021. I’m super excited to start my author journey with all of you. I write contemporary & LGBTQ+ new adult romance novels, and I strive to make my characters as real as possible. Random facts about me, I collect mugs, I’ve dyed my hair every color of the rainbow, I currently have sixteen tattoos, and seven of them are dedicated to pets (yes, I love my pets).
I look forward to chatting with you or connecting through my books!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chain of Gold Book Review ( Spoiler Alert!!)

Fourth Wing | Book-Review

Throne of Broken Gods by Amber Nicole | Book Review

The Secret Service of Tea and Treason by India Holton | Book Review

This Time It's Real by Ann Liang | Review