Books I relate to Harry's House

Harry Styles just released his 3rd studio Album Harry's House, and I am addicted and hooked. First of all, On Spotify's Global Top 50 hits, all 13 of Harry's House songs rank 1-13, and as of now, he has 14 songs on the list out of 50 spots (Yes, I am feeling very proud.)

Second, I haven't stopped listening to the songs since they were released. On the first listen, Little Freaks and Matilda were my favourite songs because as soon as I heard them one after another, I cried like I literally bawled my eyes out for 2 hrs playing these 2 on a loop. Then all the upbeat songs hit, and I swear I have whiplash from the mood swings. 

I was reading Something Wilder by Christina Lauren before listening to the album, and when I related that book to a song on the album, I tried to figure out more books that I relate to the album, so here we go with this post. 

1. MUSIC FOR A SUSHI RESTAURANT -  THE LOVE HYPOTHESIS BY ALI HAZELWOOD


I am not going to lie; out of all the songs, this was the hardest to find a book to relate to because Harry literally wrote this song as music for a sushi restaurant because he didn't like what was playing when he went to a sushi place once. But after thinking so much, The Love Hypothesis was kind of a fit. First of all, Both Adam and Olive go to a sushi restaurant even if Adam tries to stop her and fails. Furthermore, the whole song talks about food and Adam and Olive did have an ongoing debate about the sugary drinks of Starbucks. 

"I don't want you to get lost. I don't want you to go broke. I want you."

In these Lyrics, he is telling about his concern and It reminded me so much of Adam and him literally being concerned about her cycling at night and paying for stuff. With the theme of love, Adam fits perfectly into Music for a Sushi Restaurant because he's been in love with Olive since the first time he talked to her. 

2. LATE NIGHT TALKING - A MILLION KISSES IN YOUR LIFETIME BY MONICA MURPHY

Late Night Talking, aka the most fun song on the album to listen to and my favourite song on this album that won't make me cry. As per me, Late Night Talking is that developing stage in a relationship where you fall in love with the other person. Talking about everything and anything from  2 am to 5 am and losing track of time is what I believe Late Night Talking is about, and there are so many books which show this, but the one I read most recently and what clicked Instantly is A Million Kisses in your Lifetime. 

"We've been doing all this Late Night talkin'. 'Bout anything you want until the mornin'. Now you're in my life. I can't get you off my mind."

Crew and Wren fit this song so much because of all the Late Night Talking and because Crew would do anything to make Wren happy. He would buy 1000 shades of Chanel Lipstick if it means she's happy, and he'll also buy her favourite painting and let her recreate that favourite painting. He, despite being a bad boy, is such a Teddy Bear.

Re-listening to this song again and again till I can only think about Wren and Crew and how wonderful this book is >>>>>>

3. GRAPEJUICE - CHEAT SHEET BY SARAH ADAMS

Is it really a Harry Styles album till one of the songs is not named after a fruit? Grapejuice was a weird song on first listen, I am not going to lie, but after a bunch of listens, I'm pretty sure I like it just enough to say there is not a single bad song on this album. Grapejuice refers to wine, obviously, and the whole song is kind of connected to Daydreaming. While in Daydreaming, Harry is singing about being in a relationship which feels like a daydream; in Grapejuice he talks about Daydreaming of a relationship where it's just him, his partner and a bottle of wine (rouge).  

"I was on my way to buy some flowers for you. Thought that we could hide away in a corner of the heath. There's never been someone who's so perfect for me."

I went with Cheat Sheet by Sarah Adams because, in Cheat Sheet, Nathan wants the kind of relationship "where it's just her and him on a couch in the night watching a movie" with Bree, and the pining is just reminding me, too much of him. Buying Flowers and mentioning someone who has never been more perfect all point toward Nathan crushing on Bree and choosing her over everyone. 

PS - While writing this, I noticed Grapes are green, and so is the Cheat sheet's cover. 

4. AS IT WAS - BROKEN KNIGHT BY LJ SHEN


As It Was is an Instagram sensation song, and there are so many books that I relate to this song because, in one way or another, something leads to change in book plots and characters. But I went with a book which depicts the overall dark theme of an upbeat song. While, As It Was has an upbeat theme and just sends the message that things have changed it also has a verse which tells us about the darkness in his life with lyrics like "
Harry, you're no good alone. Why are you sitting at home on the floor? What kind of pills are you on? Ringin' the bell And nobody's coming to help" Depression and Drug Abuse seem like the right and fitting themes here. 

Broken Knight by LJ Shen is a really dark book (Check T.W before reading) with 2 best friends who were in love with each other not being together because of miscommunication at its finest. This book made me cry more than anything, but I still love it. Knight and Luna finally do end up together, but a lot of things in their relationship and their family changed to lead up to that point. Both Knight and Luna do go through some dark themes of this book; that's why I recommend checking Trigger Warnings before reading.

5. DAYLIGHT - THE MADDEST OBSESSION BY DANIELLE LORI

Daylight has such repetitive lyrics that it's hard to match a book. After things change in the relationship in As It Was, Daylight is more about the relationship reaching its breaking point and them pushing someone away. I couldn't specifically find a book for this, but as soon as Cocaine was mentioned my brain went directly to Christian Allister and Gianna Russo.

"You were just doing cocaine in my kitchen. You never listen. I hope you're missing me by now"

The amount of times Christian ( A Fed) has caught Gianna ( Mafia lady) snort cocaine in that book is just too many for me to keep count of. The song also mentions New York and travelling and someone pushing you away despite all the love you gave them and it just reminds me of Christian and Gianna. Both of them fit perfectly in the right person wrong time genre so well that it hurts. 

6. LITTLE FREAK - PUNK 57 BY PENELOPE DOUGLAS

Little Freak was my favourite song on first listen and it still is. The lyrics are so beautiful that they give me Folklore/Evermore vibes and I am so in love. This song was a bit hard to relate to a book because what this song implies is that a person reminiscing about their former partner but not caring where they are and just thinking about who as a person they are. For me, the lyrics imply that he is reminiscing about their past when they were together and thinking about all the mistakes they made in their relationship. This is not something I generally read in books but after some thinking, I did find a book.

"I was thinkin' about who you are. Your delicate point of view. I was thinkin' about you"

Punk 57 is about Misha and Ryen, two penpals who start writing to each other as a mistake but slowly become best friends. They've never seen each other and they don't really know who the other person is other than what they've written in their letters. When Misha accidentally discovers who Ryen is he is shocked to find she is quite opposite in real life as she led him to believe and he is pissed about this. The lyrics of this song reminded me of Misha in the way that he is thinking about who she is and just wondering why she decided to lie and Ryen's "delicate point of view" of her own life. 

7. MATILDA - ADDICTED / CALLOWAY SERIES BY KB RITCHIE

Matilda took my heart pierced an arrow through it, broke it completely and then ran a tractor over it because with this song I am unstable. I can break down at any moment listening to this song. Everything in this song is so filled with melancholy especially the ending. There's not a particular book that comes to mind with this song but a few characters. These characters happen to be Lily, Rose and Daisy Calloway and also Loren Hale and Ryke Meadows ( so basically core 6 except Connor Cobalt because that man is too smart and no one has to tell him these lines.)

"You can let it go. You can throw a party full of everyone you know and not invite your family cause they never showed you love. You don't have to be sorry for leaving and growing up" 

The whole Addicted / Calloway series screams Parental Issues. I think the person who I relate the most to these lyrics is the Calloway sisters. Lily never got any love from her family as a child even Rose, Poppy and Daisy, so she escaped to Lo, the only person who loved her, and even after battling her addiction once she got the right support system she still didn't realize these things. I think the whole series is Lily redeveloping those relationships which can be salvaged and breaking off those which a toxic. Same with Rose and Daisy, while they got their parent's attention as kids it all went towards Toxicity. Daisy was forced into unhealthy modelling habits from a really young age. 

In the ending Harry says "You can throw a party full of everyone you know. You can start a family who will always show you love" and I just relate that sentence to this entire series so much because neither of them had any solid foundation of a family but then the core 6 became each other's family and not in the sense of girls being sisters and guys getting along but in every way. Lo is protective of Daisy as a sister and bantering with Rose like an elder sister. Connor and Ryke helped Lily when Lo went into rehabilitation. Writing this made me realize how it's time for another re-read of the Addicted / Calloway series.

8. CINEMA - HOOK, LINE AND SINKER BY TESSA BAILEY

Cinema is a song which 101% reminds me of Fox Thornton from Hook, Line and Sinker. This song is about him being crazy in love with her and possessive of her and that's so every other book boy character but it's more Fox Thornton and Hanna Bellinger for a multitude of reasons. 

"I guess you're all mine. When you're sleeping in this bed with me"

"Do you think I'm cool too? Or am I too into you?" 

Fox and Hannah become friends when Hannah visited the small fishing town where her sister is settled now. Fox is so protective of Hannah that he refused to be with her just because he thought he'd hurt her with his playboy ways and I swear to god it was the most delightfully painful thing I've read. Fox gets jealous and possessive and when they fake date the way he longs for it to be real is all just so Cinema. Some of the lyrics are dirty and who else is as dirty as Fox Thornton. Also Hannah is in the Cinema and Music Industry so it just fits perfectly with this song. 

9. DAYDREAMING - TERMS AND CONDITIONS BY LAUREN ASHER

Daydreaming is a fun song describing a relationship which feels like living in a daydream and the lyrics made me think of Terms and Conditions instantly. To me, I don't relate the song to Terms and Conditions entirely but some scenes just pop into my mind while listening to this song. 

"Livin' in a daydream. She said, Love me like you paid me. You know I'll be gone for so long. So give me all of your love, give me somethin' to dream about"

In Terms and Conditions, Declan Kane has to complete a task given by his grandpa before he can be fully the CEO of their family company. The task is to marry someone within the year. When he makes his chosen wife run away, his secretary Iris steps in to act as his wife for a few years. The whole her being his secretary and them being in a marriage of convenience reminded me so much of the line "Love me like you paid me." We all know how much Declan loved Iris no matter what he said because he literally forced his entire office to use Sans Serif fonts because Iris is dyslexic. Daydreaming definitely has a place on the Terms and Conditions playlist.

10. KEEP DRIVING - THROTTLED BY LAUREN ASHER

Did I go with the most obvious choice of book with this song? Yes, I did. Who would not relate the song title Keep Driving to a book about an F1 Driver. According to me, Keep Driving is an upbeat song about a fun relationship moving forward despite the problems. 

"A small concern with how the engine sounds. We held darkness in withheld clouds. I would ask, "Should we just keep driving?"

Throttled is one of my favourite ever books and It doesn't help that Noah Slade is literally Charles Leclerc. Maya is an F1 photographer and her brother, Santiago (aka Carlos Sainz), are an F1 driver and Noah's teammate AND rival. Now, most part of why I thought of this book for this song is because Noah is an F1 Driver and the title is Keep Driving but also because when the song reminds me of the sweet and fun relationship they had despite having it be forbidden because of brother's rival and all. But then it also reminded me of almost all the books in the Dirty Air series but if I had to go with one it'd be Throttled. 

11. SATELLITE - A THOUSAND BOY KISSES BY TILLIE COLE

Satellite reminded me of either the second chance trope or the falling out with best friend trope, and since I do not like the first one, I went with the latter for this song. Satellite specifies that he is there for someone but that someone has withdrawn themselves from him, and he just wants them to see that he has always been there for them and can help them. 

"Spinnin' out, waitin' for ya to pull me in. I can see you're lonely down there. Don't you know that I am right here?"

A Thousand Boy Kisses is exactly fitting with the best friends falling apart a trope. Rune and Poppy used to be best friends before she suddenly stopped talking to him for an unknown reason for 2 years. She finally starts talking to him when she realizes she has to complete the task set by her grandma before she passes away. This book broke me down in pieces, but for what it's worth, I personally thought that the ending of this book was beautiful, and this book honestly had a happy ending. Just like the song says, Rune's there for Poppy, and Poppy is there for Rune always. Now Satellite is definitely one of my favourite songs of the album, and I will definitely be making myself cry while re-reading A Thousand Boy Kisses.  

12. BOYFRIENDS - TWISTED HATE BY ANA HUANG 

Boyfriends is a song which basically says guys are stupid (and do I love Harry more for writing a song calling guys stupid being a guy himself?  yes, yes, I do.) But really, Boyfriends is conveying the message that guys and so many boyfriends take their girlfriends for granted and end up losing them. 

"Boyfriends, they think you're so easy. They take you for granted. They don't know they are just misunderstanding."

I was a bit confused about which book to go with this song because both of them happened to be by Ana Huang. Twisted Love and Twisted Hate both kind of fit this song, but then I finally concluded that Twisted Hate is more fitting. The whole climax and aftermath of Twisted Hate fit this song so well. I will not go into detail because It will be a pretty big spoiler for those who haven't read, and I don't want to ruin anything for them.

13. LOVE OF MY LIFE - SOMETHING WILDER BY CHRISTINA LAUREN

As I mentioned before, I was reading Something Wilder a few minutes before listening to Harry's House, and I instantly connected the lyrics to the book. The whole album, to me, is him finding love, letting her go, reminiscing about it, realizing their share of mistakes and ending it with the Love of my Life to signify the second chance romance trope. This song is about him realizing that she is the one and he made a mistake letting her go. 

"Baby, you were the love of my life. Woah, maybe you don't know it's lost till you find it. It's not what I wanted, to leave you behind." 

In Something Wilder by Christina Lauren, Leo Grady goes on a trip with his friends to Wilder Adventures, who host real adventures and treasure hunts. Wilder Adventures is hosted by Lily Wilder, daughter of the famous adventurer, Duke Wilder. Both of them had a whirlwind summer romance till life gave them a reality check with a dose of miscommunication, and their lives went south. Some 10 years later, they meet each other again when Leo goes to Wilder Adventure, sees her again, and realizes he is still in love with her. 

"I think the problem is that I am not the kind of guy to fall in and out of love. I fell in love once and stayed there."

Though this book happens to be more on an adventure side than romance with some excellent cryptic codes using ROT and ASCII (the fact that I know what these codes were before this book existed makes me feel proud of myself), some wild car chases and gun fighting moments. If your favourite Harry's house song is Love of my life, give this one a read. 

✦゚━━━━━━━・❦・━━━━━━━゚✦


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chain of Gold Book Review ( Spoiler Alert!!)

Fourth Wing | Book-Review

Throne of Broken Gods by Amber Nicole | Book Review

The Secret Service of Tea and Treason by India Holton | Book Review

Top 10 YA Standalone